Wednesday, January 20, 2010

G'z Top 5 Famous Iconic Figures

Growing up I looked up to a lot of people. Those few people that I did look up to made me the person and character I am today. Have you ever looked at someone and said to yourself that he or she looks like a famous person? Or talks and walks like a famous person? If so it’s probably because he or she admires that superstar. Most of the time it’s quite true, people who look up and turn to famous icons for inspirations usually incorporate them in their own life somehow. 


So in this blog I will give you my top 5 icons that I’ve always admired and looked up to. These 5 famous icons got me through a lot of good times and bad times throughout my life. For those who know me, maybe you can see bits and pieces of these icons in me. I will rate them starting from number 5. So please read on while I give a brief explanation on why these famous icons have inspired me.








#5 OPTIMIUS PRIME          
When I was a young boy, I’ve always been infatuated with Japanese animation, comics, and the underground cult that follows it. I’ve been into X-Men, Batman, G-Force, Robotech,Dangard Ace, Voltron. But one certain cartoon that I instantly fell in love with was Transformers. For all you 80’s babies, you all knew how much of an impact Transformers left in culture. Just a couple of years ago, my dreams came true, when Optimus Prime came to life in the big screen, trust me I was star struck even if it was CGI. I guess the reason why Optimus Prime means so much to me, is because he is a leader, and me being a Leo, I was attracted to that. He was always in control, Top Dog! And more importantly he’s just fucking bad ass.




#4 TUPAC SHAKUR
What more can I say about 2pac. He was probably one of the best rappers that ever lived. His poetry and ego gave rap music a new edge. I respected him so much because he never held back on emotions and feelings. Whatever he was feeling he made sure you felt it also. His rough swagger and gangster image was one of the many reasons why I have so much confidence in myself. Also a lot of the things that he rapped about I related to some how. When 2pac passed on it was like I lost a part of me also. 















#3 PRINCE

Don’t look so surprised. For those who really know me, you’ve should have seen this coming. Since the 80’s Prince has been making awesome music. His style that he created what I like to call “Secret Style” is what gave him that edge. He is never scared to cross or push that boundary. His music is like poetry, if you just read the lyrics without the music you would see what I mean. As you can tell music played a big part in my life, His music has inspired me to create art whether it be on paper, canvas, style, and love. Out of all the artists out there, I admire his sense of style. It’s dark but clean, not too rugged but yet not too formal. His music is timeless, everybody knows at least one if his songs whether you like it or not.










#2 KISS
I was 16yrs old. One of my best friends and older cousin showed me an old 70’s vinyl record. And on it was 4 crazy figures. One was a Demon, the other Star man, some weird Space man, and a Cat man. I was totally blown away by it. At the time I thought it was a comic book. But as he explained to me that it’s actually a rock group I was mystified. I wanted to know everything about them and what they stood for. There is so much information on what the group is about and what they stand for, that I would have to write a separate blog on just that. So I’ll give you a brief idea. It’s basically a super hero rock group. All 4 of them have their own mystical powers. They incorporated their alter ego’s in the songs that they write serperatly. They believe in black and white nothing else. They have this kind of music that makes you feel like a bad ass. Not only that, you really didn’t know who they were at the time. One of the best rock groups ever in my opinion.






#1 DARTH VADER              
Darth Vader has almost everything that inspires me in my life. It’s kinda weird if you think about it, but it makes perfect sense. He’s a leader, Powerful, You really didn’t know who he was at the time or what made him tick. He did’nt take shit from anyone, everybody feared him. He’s dark, all black, but there was a sincere side to him. I’ve always been fascinated with him since I saw Star Wars for the first time back in the 70’s. He looks like a fancy car, clean, sleek, and fast. And when he walked George Lucas incorporated The Imperial March song which made him extremely larger than life. 



So there you are my top 5 Iconic figures that  gave me many inspirations in life. Please leave comments, I love criticism. Just drop me a little message here and there. I know there are some of you out there that are enjoying my blogs. Please stay tuned there will be a lot more to come. Thanks again for reading. Until the next blog. 
                                                                   -G-


                                                          

1 comment:

  1. Gene and Darth are neck and neck in my book of childhood heroes. I've always rooted for the bad guy, and these two embody "the dark side" like nobody else's business. I still haven't gotten around to drawing them both facing off on a dark backdrop, side by side, black on black, but then if I did that, I might also have to include wrestling's The Undertaker (the early '90s version, before his character went all leather, badass, and MMA) just to complete the circle. And if I REALLY wanted the whole ensemble of lifetime heroes - the good, the bad, the ugly - I might as well throw some radioactive green into the blackness because Godzilla and The Hulk would have to get squeezed in somehow. And right smack in the center would be none other than, you guessed it, Bruce...WATAAAAHHHH. Yeah, you know who I am. You know what I'm sayin'. I love you, bro.

    ReplyDelete